Become a PDS1 Approved Verifier
- Friday, 03 September 2021
We need your help. ‘Approved Verifiers’ (AVs) are required in all areas of the UK to support the Proficient Deer Stalker Certificate Level 1 (PDS1) and verify the skills of PDS1 candidates who have completed the PDS1 Online.
If you are a Professional Stalker, have DSC2, PDS2 are a Range Officer or have an equivalent qualification, we want you to become an AV by taking a short online course and getting registered
How does it work?
Those that have completed the knowledge element of the PDS1 Course online via the Hunting Academy may wish to have the skills element of the course assessed. This must be carried out by an Approved Verifier (AV).
In order to ensure that PDS1 standards are transparent and remain fair and consistent, potential AV’s are required to take a short online course that provides details of the requirements and guidelines for the skills assessment.
About the PDS1 Course & Approved Verifier Course
Accredited by both the UK’s leading land-based awarding bodies LANTRA and UK Rural Skills (UKRS), the excellent 'Proficient Deer Stalker Certificate Level 1' (PDS1) is a nationally recognised course that is delivered by ‘County Deer Stalking’ and the ‘Hunting Academy’. The course exists for those that wish to develop their skills and become proficient, trained deer hunters and has been established to ensure high standards amongst stalkers of wild deer.
Through a series of modules and classes delivered either in the field or via an e-learning platform, candidates are guided through the PDS1 syllabus, before being required to pass a series of multiple-choice examinations. Read more about PDS1 Course HERE
To ensure candidates who have completed the Online PDS1 course are able to have their practical skills assessed in an area near them, County Deer Stalking and the Hunting Academy provide details to PDS1 candidates of Approved Verifiers in all areas of the UK, who are able to assess the marksmanship and safety skills of the candidate.
In the interests of fairness, the PDS1 Certificate requires continuity, the PDS1 Approved Verifier course is designed to provide this continuity and details the requirements & guidelines for how the assessment is to be carried out, what are the expectations and role of an Approved Verifier and the requirements for the PDS1 Candidate.
The Requirements of Becoming a PDS1 Approved Verifier
Clearly, we require that are PDS1 Verifiers are up to the job and so it is essential that you read the requirements of becoming an Approved Verifier prior to taking the course:
- You should, possess one of the following: A Deer Stalking or Deer Management Qualification PDS2 and/or DSC2. Be a professional deer stalker, certified Range Officer or possess a qualification that is deemed equivalent by County Deer Stalking (CDS).
- Complete the PDS1 AV Course via the Hunting Academy.
- Register your details for publishing on a list to be made available to PDS1 candidates.
- Possess a suitable deer calibre rifle equipped with quality optics and a sling, that the candidate can use for the assessment.
- Have legal use of land which is suitable and safe for the purposes of the assessment.
- Have current, suitable liability insurance to at least £5 million
- Be able to demonstrate relevant experience
- Respond to all enquiries from candidates in a timely and polite fashion.
- Understand that to remain an AV you must be responsible for your own continuous development and read any material or amendments forwarded to you by CDS
- Keep CDS up to date with changes to your contact details
- In the interests of integrity, not carry out the assessment of family or relatives
- Agree to administration fee of £15 per annum collected by Direct Debit to remain on the list of approved verifiers
- Adhere to the highest standards of professionalism
What’s in it for you?
Through your role as an ‘Approved Verifier’ you have the opportunity to shape the future of countless beginners to the world of deer stalking and ensure that continued high standards of deer management are maintained.
It is entirely at your discretion whether you wish to charge for your services. Some AV's may wish to offer a service free of charge for the good of the sport, others may wish to charge a fee.
Whilst it is not in the interests of the PDS1 Course, or the sport that candidates be charged exorbitant sums of money, there is the potential to earn up to £120-00 inc vat for carrying out the PDS1 assessment. Clearly, for those that wish to offer additional services, for example an outings deer stalking or tuition, there is also the opportunity for AV’s to achieve ongoing or additional remuneration from candidates that have been introduced through the PDS1 system.
Being an AV carries with it status and recognition that you have reached a point in your deer stalking career where you are suitably experienced to mentor those new to deer stalking.
If you meet the criteria and would like to become a PDS1 Approved Verifier, please enrol & register now, you can do so by following this link: approved-verifier-course
What’s more the first 20 subscribers get free access!